Skip to Main Content
For both Sherlock and any of the databases you might search, there are ways you can construct your searches to get more specific results:
- desire AND self -- Use AND to connect words that must appear in a document.
- self OR identity -- Use OR if only one word must appear in a document.
- silk stockings NOT play -- Use NOT to exclude words or terms from a search
- individual* -- Use an asterisk to truncate a word and allow for different endings. For example, individual, individuals, individuality, etc.
- "Montage of a dream deferred" -- Use quotation marks to enclose a phrase or words that must appear together in a document.
Finding books & articles
Sherlock This link opens in a new window
Sherlock combines the Whitman Library Catalog, Summit and many of our electronic journal subscriptions into one searchable interface.
Modern Language Association (MLA) International Bibliography This link opens in a new window
Literature, languages, linguistics, folklore, drama and film (1963-)
America: History and Life This link opens in a new window
A comprehensive bibliography of articles on the history and culture of the United States and Canada (1955-)
Proquest Social Science Premium Collection This link opens in a new window
This collection provides access to databases covering the international literature in the social sciences, including politics, sociology, social services, anthropology, criminology and education. Featured databases include IBSS, PAIS and Sociological Abstracts.
JSTOR This link opens in a new window
Includes scholarship published in over one thousand of the highest-quality academic journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
Philosophers Index This link opens in a new window
A current and comprehensive bibliographic database covering scholarly research in all major fields of philosophy. It contains research published since 1940
Using Library Guides
Whitman Library Guides
Library Guides -- and Subject Guides in particular -- can help you choose databases that are relevant to a specific disciplinary approach. There is a Subject Guide that corresponds with each Whitman major.
© 2014 Whitman College Penrose Library |