Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For both Sherlock and any of the databases you might search, there are ways you can construct your searches to get more specific results:
- caucasian AND identity -- Use AND to connect words that must appear in a document.
- race OR ethnicity -- Use OR if only one word must appear in a document.
- white NOT caucasian -- Use NOT to exclude words or terms from a search
- rac* -- Use an asterisk to truncate a word and allow for different endings. For example, race, racial, racialism, racism, etc.
- "racial identity" -- Use quotation marks to enclose a phrase or words that must appear together in a document.
Finding books & articles
Sherlock This link opens in a new window
Sherlock combines the Whitman Library Catalog, Summit and many of our electronic journal subscriptions into one searchable interface.
In class worksheet
Searching & Citations
Make a copy of this worksheet and share it with Julie. This will guide your class work time today.
© 2014 Whitman College Penrose Library |