Skip to main content
If you have found a book that it looks like we only have the physical copy or it is only in Summit, here are some steps you can take to access those materials digitally.
1. Look for it in HathiTrust Digital Library (Whitman materials) or the Internet Archive National Emergency Library (Whitman or Summit materials)
- The HathiTrust Digital contains thousands of public-domain texts. We also have access to digitized versions of around 175,000 books from our print collection. These titles can be found in Sherlock (there will be a link to the HathiTrust copy) or in HathiTrust directly (the record will indicate temporary emergency access). Once you are in HathiTrust, make sure you are logged in. After clicking Login, you will select Whitman as your institution and then use your Whitman ID to log in (More info on accessing HathiTrust)
- The Internet Archive has suspended their waiting list and made their 1.4 million book collection available. You will have to make an account and then you can check a book out for 2 weeks.
2. Request a scan from us or another school
- Make sure you are signed into Sherlock when you search. You will see Request Chapter in PDF in the Get It tab for the book when you click on the title. By selecting Request Chapter in PDF, you will be taken to a pre-populated ILL request form. The only additional information we need is what section(s) you are requesting to be scanned. The Chapter Title section is required, and please be as specific as possible, i.e. the page numbers, chapter titles, sections, etc. that you need. You can request the Table of Contents or Index first to make a more specific request after. You can also make a request by hand.
- You can do the same for books in Summit through the Interlibrary Loan form.
3. Still unsure or something not working? Contact Us
- Chat from 9-9, every day from the library's home page or the box on the Home tab of this guide
- Email us or send in a question
- Call us at 1-833-PENROSE to leave a voicemail that the person managing chat will receive.
© 2014 Whitman College Penrose Library |